Scientific degree: MD prof. dr. hab.
Scientific position: professor
Department: Department of Pediatrics, Nutrition and Metabolic Diseases
OrcID No: L-8752-2017
- head of the Department of Pediatrics, Nutrition and Metabolic Diseases at the Children’s Memorial Health Institute (CMHI) in Warsaw
- associated with CMHI since 1976
- scholarship holder of The British Council, working at Hospital for Sick Children, Great Ormond Street in London
- worked as a consultant at the Children’s Hospital of Garyunis University (Benghazi, Libya)
- completed internships at the Catholic University of Leuven (Belgium), the Dunn Clinical Nutrition Center, Cambridge and the AFRC Institute of Food Research, Norwich (Great Britain), Baylor College of Medicine, Houston (USA)
- was an inspirator of the work on oral rehydration in acute diarrheas in Poland
- developed his own method of rapid intravenous rehydration in patients with severe dehydration in children
- with the CMHI team, as the first in the country, introduced the method of total parenteral nutrition in pediatrics
- (with the team – also the first in Eastern Europe) – introduced home parenteral nutrition in children
- was a member of an international expert group developing European recommendations for parenteral nutrition
- developed the principles of the program for ordering and monitoring parenteral nutrition “Żywczyk” based on an EU-funded project, which is used in many hospitals in the country
- was a member of the team who first set up a gastrostomy in a child endoscopically. He is the author of a mathematical method for assessing the state of nutrition
- organizer of the periodical Warsaw Nutrition Forum (from 1996)
- author of many publications related mainly to children’s gastroenterology and nutrition as well as chapters in textbooks and reports at congresses
- member of the European Society of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition (ESPGHAN), the European Society for Clinical Nutrition and Metabolism (ESPEN) and Polish Pediatric Association. He was the founder and for two terms the president of the board of the Polish Society for Clinical Nutrition of Children.
Qualifications and trainings:
- specialization: paediatrics, pediatric gastroenterology
- scientific interests include nutrition in children and nutritional treatment, in addition to pediatric problems as fever of unknown origin, neuroinfections, etc.